Friday, September 30, 2022

Super Secret Project V (i.e. Famine, Sword, & Fire)

 Many moons ago, I decided on yet another game design challenge - but a kind of "spare time" challenge.  To wit I started assembling miniatures to have on hand if I ever decided to actually start working on it.

The challenge?  A rank-n-flank game.  I've always been enamored by the "look" of rank-n-flank games, such as Warhammer Fantasy, Hail Caesar, etc.  My experience in watching reports though, has always been a little less stellar.

I started scribbling notes down for something to play around with...and started assembling an army, in secret.

Why in secret?  Oh, just to have something to piss off a buddy.  It's a game he wouldn't enjoy, so I, in turn, enjoyed teasing him about it for the past few months.  Another buddy of mine is my partner in crime and we're assembling small armies to give this thing a shot.

So...first the miniatures.




We decided to do a vague ancients/medieval styled "Imagi-Nations" approach.  I selected Dacians as my primary miniatures of choice, building a semi-tribal army.  My first effort was the above unit.



As a "core" kind of unit, I built another small infantry unit.  (Units in this game will consist of between one and ten bases).




The Dacians come with some warriors called Bastarnae - these I cobbled into a unit of berserker styled infantry, using a shaman from a chariot box to lead them. 

From my first bag of Dacians I now have three solid infantry units, plenty to at least playtest with in the future.


The best part - this is all less than one bag of miniatures from Victrix!



Following my initial infantry I build two chariots.  These are Gallic chariots, converted over with Dacian with heads and models.  I swapped in some archers, making these "light" chariots for my game's purposes.  These are amazing kits, if finnicky and annoying to build/paint.  The bags contain three chariots, three shamands, three female shamands, and eight armoured bodies, etc.  A real value for $27!


Using more miniatures from the same bag of Dacians I assembled a unit of missile skirmishers.  These are on round bases to identify that they're skirmishers.  The lone figure is to represent a "hero" (a possible outcome during combat).


The army thus far, though there are more models on the way.

Then, by accident...my buddy and I playtested the game last week and it worked out pretty well.  now rules are being written, tokens are being ordered, mats are being designed, etc.  The name for the project comes from Henry V - a film I was watching while painting and wondering what I could call it...

So, there will be plenty more coming - as I engage in yet another gaming project!


2 comments:

  1. This an intriguing project- I look forward to following it. One a side note, I just received and order from Victrix: incredible value and great quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems some of their stuff is better than others, and some kits are more versatile than others (Dacians being a superb kit by all measure). And for the price, it's incredible what you get. My whole army (all the infantry) are just one bag of Dacians and a few bonus chariot riders, etc. I only now received a second bag of Dacians to finish the army!

      Delete