Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Eo'Thel Starborn, Autarch of the Yderis Craftworld

Disclaimer: I don't like the idea of an Autarch.  I think it was a poor design choice from GW, but it's an effective and necessary part of running Eldar (sometimes).  I decided to make one, and simply consider him as a powerful Dire Avenger Exarch who's taken on a leadership role with the Yderis Craftworld.






I've always loved this simple Dire Avenger Exarch model, and he happens to match the rather underwhelming Autarch in the new game.  We'll see if I can adapt to the idea. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I've heard people slag the autarch before, but not being up to speed on 40k for the last few editions I'm unsure what the problem is. Is he too generic or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it stems from my 2nd edition origins. Back then, armies had more individual character because of what they "didn't" have, vs. what they "did". The Eldar had the all-powerful Avatar of Khaine, and powerful battle wizards like the Warlock and Farseer. They were not as badass as a Space Marine Captain, but made up for it using spells/powers, etc. It gave the Eldar a real distinct feel. The Autarch is just a typical beat-stick...rather lazy in design. Sadly when the Autarch idea popped into existence, GW then turned Farseers/Warlocks/Exarchs into really weak units. Gone were the days of powerful battle wizards, replaced by frail weaklings, while the Autarch stepped in to take over. I love the model though, and he's well costed for a decent HQ to add to the force (sadly).

      Delete