Today, the Rifts Board Game Kickstarter began:
Like many teens in the 90's I played a variety of role-playing games, including cutting my teeth with Palladium Book's TMNT and Other Strangeness, and Robotech (my long-time favourite IP).
Siembeda and crew provided a clunky rule-set, but buried within were some neat and interesting worlds and IPs. Rifts came out a bit later to much fan-fare and garnered quite a large following. Palladium was never a very progressive company, leaving Robotech as an IP to flounder in the US market for decades (basically putting a stranglehold on it in the US - limiting it to a mediocre role-playing game).
Several years ago Palladium launched a Kickstarter for Robotech as a new type of miniatures game. I risked buying in, and have regretted it ever since. As a heads up for people looking at Rifts, please be aware of the following:
- Robotech Kickstarter successfully funded with $1+ million.
- First wave of miniatures shipped (albeit late).
- Second wave (50-60% of the KS content) has never shipped...it's been 3-4 years at this point.
- Kevin Siembeda has been making hollow promises in vague emails, continuing to develop and create excuses with no progress made (at all) toward producing the final materials or delivering them.
- An individual named Carmen (having previously worked with Palladium) sought some rights to produce a Rifts board game (the one in question)
- This individual attempted to quasi-blackmail Robotech backers, attempting to stave off any future repercussions by this fanbase (based around the semi-fraudulent activity of Siembeda etc.)
- Internet mayhem ensued and Carmen disappeared.
- Palladium stated that Carmen had attempted suicide due to mental duress caused by the internet discussions/arguments based around his behavior/communication/antics etc.
- The majority of this material was scrubbed from the KS comments section and users were banned, etc.
TL:DR Version: Avoid this Kickstarter like the plague if you don't want to get involved with a gigantic nonsensical amount of drama and nonsense - with a questionable company, questionable IP and even more questionable people involved.
Buyer beware. If you invest in this, please be careful. You may lose your money.