Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Mantic...Almost. Dungeon scenery.

So, as I may have espoused before on this blog (or maybe not, I'm a forgetful dolt), I don't particularly like Mantic products.  I have long joked that their tag line should be: "Mantic...Almost".

Everything they make just seems like a B-team effort.  Now they are still a cheap product to purchase, and have long betted on that simple strategy.  Poorer quality materials, generally poor sculpts...but cheap.

I bought into the Dungeon Saga Kickstarter back maybe 4-5 years now.  Upon opening it I was so underwhelmed with the general quality of almost every game component that I sold it the next day on eBay (and not for a major profit!).

I had seen Mantic talk about this Terrain Crate KS a couple years back and thought maybe, just maybe they'd found a niche where they could do something worthwhile.

I picked up a box of Mantic's "Torture Chamber" dungeon dressing.  At $28 it was pretty reasonable and I thought if they'd finally turned a corner I could fill my whole dungeon with glorious furniture and set pieces.

Verdict: Still Mantic.

I received a big box which was shockingly light.  This was because, upon opening you find it's literally 85% air with a black plastic tray holding a scant handful of miniature pieces.  Everything advertised on the box was there, but in typical Mantic fashion, the unboxing produced a wave of mediocrity.

This is how much wasted space you get in the frankly huge cardboard box:


The pieces were okay casts, and okay designs...but small (proper 25mm more than 28/32mm), and in a slightly spongy plastic, meaning the legs on the racks were warped and the cage collapsed on itself if you squeezed it at all.  I tossed a handful of the smallest/most useless pieces, and quickly painted up the rest of the bits.






The end results look fine, if small.  I'll make use of them, but I will not be returning to Mantic for more mediocrity.  Also, worth noting that some of the plastics in this kit had a similar result to Reaper Bones in that they remained rather tacky after priming with Krylon (which normally doesn't do anything to my minis).

No comments:

Post a Comment